The Sekyere South District Assembly (SSDA) is one of the Two Hundred and Fifty-Four (254) Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) in Ghana and among the Twenty-Six (26) MMDAs in the Ashanti Region. It was established in 2006 but has gone through several changes in terms of name, size and number of Sub-Metros. When Ghana returned to constitutional rule in 1993, it derived its legal basis from Local Government Act, 1993, (Act 462) which currently has been amended as the Local Governance Act, 2016 (ACT 936), and under Legislative Instrument (L.I) 2034.
The functions of the Assembly are derived from the Local Governance Act, Act 936 (2016), section 12, clauses 1-9. However, for the purpose of this plan, the following ones are selected:
- Responsible for the overall development of the district;
- Formulate and execute plans, programmes and strategies for the effective mobilisation of the resources necessary for the overall development of the district;
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the district and remove any obstacles to initiative and development;
- Initiate programmes for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the district;
- Responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the district;
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out studies that may be necessary for the discharge of any of the duties conferred by this Act or any other enactment;
- Execute approved development plans for the district;
- Guide, encourage and support sub-district local structures, public agencies and local communities to perform their functions in the execution of approved development plans;
- Initiate and encourage joint participation with other persons or bodies to execute approved development plans;
- Promote or encourage other persons or bodies to undertake projects under approved development plans; and
- Monitor the execution of projects under approved development plans and assess and evaluate their impact on the development of the district and national economy in accordance with government policy.
Sekyere South District is one of the thirty administrative districts in the Ashanti Region of Ghana; with a total land area of 584 square kilometers. This represents about 2.4 % of the total landmass of Ashanti Region. The district lies between latitude 6o 50’N and 70 10’N and Longitude 10 40’W and 10 25’ W.
It shares boundaries with Ejura-Sekyedumase to the North Mampong Municipal to East, Sekyere East and Kwabre East to South and Afigya Kwabre to the West.
The Ashantis dominate the various ethnic groups in the district with 74.6% of the total population of 94,009 as at 2010. However, beside the Ashantis who are natives of the district, there are many people with different ethnic backgrounds that can be found in the district. These other people are dominated by the Kusasi settlers with 6.1% follow by Kotokoli and Busanga with 3.0% and 2.2% respectively. The remaining ethnic groups although many are smaller in numbers compared to the ones mentioned above.
Also, it is important to mention that majority of the migrants in the district come from the northern part of the country.